Monday, March 24, 2014

Episode 15: Dreaming

I had another dream on Friday night. I've struggled with whether or not I should post it because that would mean admitting that sometimes I am rather frightened. That is not an easy public confession.

Picture medieval England. Think Crusader, King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table, etc. The battlefield is littered with the bodies of footmen and horsemen and there are only four of us left to fight on each side. (I have no idea who we're fighting for or against but that's irrelevant. I don't even know how I ended up in medieval England.) Because we're down to the last four, it is now a matter of hand-to-hand combat. It is at this point that I, as a soldier, become frightened. I'm weak. I'm tired. I just want to go home. I become aware that if I fight I might not survive. I decide to run back into the forest away from the battle. I mention my plan to my teammates. I thought that they would have been a little more supportive but I was wrong. They turn on me and explain that if I don't fight with them they will kill me themselves. Talk about a dilemma. If I go into battle, I will probably die. If I don't go into battle, I will definitely die. Oh, the anguish. It's at this point that my dear husband wakes me up. He has noticed that I'm having a very bad dream. It's lucky for me that he has such broad shoulders. When I wake up, I am not in a good mood. A few weeks ago, someone else with cancer said that she felt that her body had betrayed her. I can't go that far. That seems a little extreme but, then again, I can't say I'm very pleased with my body at the moment. After all these years of being "a good girl", I really had expected better behaviour from it.

On Sunday, the four of us went to church as a family. I haven't been out much lately and to get all four of us out at the same time is impressive. The closing hymn was, "Be Thou My Vision". That was our wedding song 20 years ago and is one of my absolute favourites. Look at verses 3&5. Given my dream on Friday, was the playing of this song on Sunday a small-"c" co-incidence? I think not. "It's Friday, now but Sunday's a-coming." (Tony Campolo).

Be Thou my vision: verses 3 & 5

Be Thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
Be Thou my armour, and be Thou my might;
Thou my soul's shelter and Thou my high tower,
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

High King of heaven, when the battle is done,
Grant heaven's joy to me, O bright heaven's Sun,
Christ of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

5 comments:

  1. So, keep on fighting. You've got an army of prayers bebind you. and an Awesome Commander-in-Chief.
    PS. Is it coffee time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog for the first time today, Dawn, & then went back & read from the beginning. I will continue to pray for you & your family on this unexpected journey.

    Ephesians Ch. 3 verse 14 - 20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn, I read your most recent blog this morning and what struck me most wasn't the details of your dream so much as the fact that you woke to have your husband holding you. Yes, you will have difficult choices ahead of you but you have the support of your family and people who love you. I talked to Dad this morning and he wants you to know that he is thinking of you always. His words of wisdom are to "Always think positive" and to know that relying on the support of those closest to you is a good thing, not a sign of weakness in any way. He wishes you well. Take care and stay positive. You WILL come out on top!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Tell your Dad thanks, too. You're so right about my husband. It's amazing what he's put up with and it's easy to see why so many marriages don't survive these rough times. It's asking for alot.

      Delete