Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Episode 1: Preliminaries

When I found out that I have breast cancer, I was playing with the idea of starting a blog. Mostly for my own sake because I like to write and writing helps me think and what better topic is there to think about: me. I didn't follow through but over the past couple of months I noticed that people around me were getting weird and I started to make a few observations about what would and would not be helpful conversations. This morning, through the encouragement of a friend, I have decided to venture into the world of blogging and share with you all my observations. (Disclaimer: if you find yourself in these words, please do not be offended or insulted. This latest adventure is a learning process for all of us.)

Back in early November (2013), I noticed a lump on my breast. No big deal really. I've had lumps removed before - on the top of my head, on my jawline - so I wasn't particularly worried but thought getting checked might be a good idea. I'm 49 1/2 and mammograms typically start at 50 so I called my family doctor (GP) and asked for a mammogram. The office said no I couldn't have one because I'm not old enough. I told them that I would like to be seen anyway. So they booked me in for the end of January. A few weeks later, the lump was still there (sometimes lumps are a result of PMS and go away by themselves) so I called again and said I really think I should be checked so they moved my appointment to the end of December.

When I saw the doctor, he found a second lump but said that they have the kind of "feel", whatever that means, of lumps that are perfectly harmless which is what I had thought. Remember, I've had lumps before that meant nothing. But he did schedule me for a mammogram for January 13 (exactly 6 months before my birthday). Because neither he or I were concerned, I almost didn't keep the appointment. Why waste everyone's time?

End of Episode 1.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you didn't cancel your appointment
    I look forward to reading more of your Journey
    I have always liked your writing
    Love you

    ReplyDelete