Sunday, February 16, 2014

Episode 9: Update

Although I feel like my story is getting old and tired, I want to do another episode today just because it may be a couple of weeks before I'm ready for more or have any compelling messages. On Thursday, I go for the pre-surgery bloodwork and then on Monday the 24th I go for the actual surgery so this episode is dedicated to a few more thoughts and updates.

I got a couple of new reports from the doctor. The bone density scan came up with absolutely nothing. The doctor was surprised. He said they usually find something such as a fracture or arthritis but my bones are perfectly clean. What a relief. All those years of not skiing, skating, or jogging are paying off. Long live couch potatoes everywhere! The CT scan found a spot on my liver but that's apparently of no concern. Livers almost always show something. Busted! Maybe I have been drinking more than we thought. (Just kidding, Mom.)

I want to say thank you to those who have been reading my blogs. To know that people enjoy my writing is very rewarding and to be given kind words of encouragement to help me through this upcoming year is very appreciated. I feel very naive and rather humbled right now. I truly have no idea what's coming up and am not qualified to have an opinion. I quite expect that someday I will look back at these episodes and say, "Oh, what an idiot I was" but that's all part of the process, isn't it? Of course the student in grade 12 can smile knowingly at the child in grade 1 but we can't get to grade 12 until we've been through the others.

The other day, I googled "blogs about breast cancer". There were a lot. Most of them I didn't read because I didn't want to risk being depressed. I did, though, read about a lady who had been using Twitter to keep everyone updated about her progress but then she got in trouble from a couple of newspaper editors for tweeting too much. That struck me as odd. If you don't like it, wouldn't you just not follow? I joined facingcancer.ca. I think it's a project of Shopper's Drug Mart. I came across this gem of a quote: “On particularly rough days, when I’m sure I can’t possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that’s pretty good.” http://www.facingcancer.ca/forums/viewthread/351#sthash.tbm9CNHf.dpuf  And, on that happy note, I shall sign off,

Until next time, Dawn

14 comments:

  1. On particularly rough days, when I’m sure I can’t possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that’s pretty good.”
    Now, that one is worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we might want to tape this to the bathroom mirror.

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blogs/episodes Dawn. I feel I have a bit of a connection with you only because my daughter (21 years old) went through colon cancer in December. After removing her colon and tumor she's cancer free. I realize I wasn't the one that had cancer but its a rough ride knowing your daughter does. There are SO many ups and downs but I found relying on my faith and staying positive was the best thing I could do. Praying for you through this journey Dawn and looking forward to reading more episode blogs. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can imagine this would be difficult for a parent. I know my mom and dad are hurting for me and if either of my two teenage girls were going through this, I'd be a basket case.

      Delete
  3. That's what I love and notice every day: your positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw: Deb is the Debbie Luking from BLTS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your experience
    I look foreword to reading a lot more
    Keep that 100% positive attitude

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dawn. I love reading your blog as I find it very informative. My thoughts and prayers are with you,Neil and the girls. You are a very stron lady and will get through the weeks to come :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dawn, It's Catherine from FacingCancer.ca - Since you shared I though I'd follow along. Hope that is okay?

    I'm wishing you the very best of luck in the upcoming surgery. After my surgery, I showed myself some tender love and care to the area - my mother massages it with Traumeel (you can buy it in the drug store or health store) once the bandages were off, and it made a huge difference to the healing. And do be sure to buy some very loose tops since you'll be stepping into/buttoning into your clothes till your arms can move more freely. Cheap tank tops do the trick.

    We're actually part of Look Good Feel Better and Shoppers Drug Mart is our wonderful sponsor. :) I'm so, so, so glad you like the page, and I'm off to share this post with everyone. It's great to know people are reading.

    Be well. I'm thinking of you as you go in.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following the blog. Of course that's okay. And thank you, too, for the practical information. It's so nice to hear from people who know things like this. I will show this to my husband right now so he can go shopping. Thanks again, Dawn

      Delete
  8. (massaged, not massages. She doesn't do that anymore!)

    ReplyDelete