Sunday, July 20, 2014

Episode 22: How to Cure a Panic Attack

Warning: The following method may not be suitable for all readers. Consult your Health Care Professional.

Sometimes it's easy to identify the cause of a panic attack: the sight of a lab technician walking in with a cart full of blood vials or the casual quip from someone who jokes about your greatest fear. Other times, the cause of a panic attack is less easy to identify: perhaps a smell or a certain day of the week triggers an unpleasant memory. Cycle 4 was fraught with anxiety which occasionally turned to panic. However, I believe that I may have found the cure.

One night at approximately 11:20 PM, I was lying in bed and I could feel myself tensing up for no apparent reason. Then, my breathing became very rapid. I tried some deep breathing exercises but to little avail. Since I wanted to have a good sleep, I decided that this was a good time to let a pill help me relax so I took one of my anti-anxiety pills. They usually work quite quickly (i.e. 5-15 minutes). Instead of relaxing, though, my breathing got worse, my skin started to tingle all over, and my hands began to clench. I couldn't believe it. Another attack? Now? Why? All I wanted to do was sleep.

I definitely had no intention of calling the fire department again (Episode 18) so I devised a plan. Quite often a burst of fresh cool air goes a long way so I figured that if I didn't calm down soon, I would ask my husband to take me to emergency. My car is my happy place. The combination of cool night air and peace and quiet would do wonders. If not, the 20 minute drive to the hospital might work and if that still wasn't enough the emergency department might have something.

By midnight, I was still no better so I said, "Would you please drive me to Emergency?" (Actually, it may have been more like: "Neil, Emergency Now!!") I stood up out of the bed and started to walk towards the stairs to go down. Wouldn't you know it but my left leg went numb? I couldn't walk. I was sure I could never make it down the stairs hopping. I'd tumble and break my neck. My sweetheart of a husband so lovingly said, "I'll carry you down." Hahahahahaha! Guess what? There is something worse than a panic attack. There's the terror of envisioning myself and my dear one doing somersaults down a full flight.

I crawled back into bed. I was fine.

2 comments: