Thursday, February 27, 2014

Episode 10: Post-Surgery

Today is Thursday. Surgery was on Monday and I finally feel like I have some sustained energy. So here I go. It's time to get some thoughts out of my head and on to paper. According to the surgeon, everything went really well and he took out everything he could see. We'll know next week what exactly that means but for now it's nice to relax. I'm doing very little thinking ahead, partly by choice but also quite a bit because it's just too much to absorb. I really am living one day at a time.

The hospital was great. The staff were fabulous. Everyone took such good care of me. The anesthetist asked me what kind of music I wanted so I sang for him, "I'm going down. I'm yelling timber." He didn't recognize it. Sadly, I also don't think he got the humour either. I was a little disappointed because the night that I stayed, I was in a room for four and I got almost no sleep. They said they do that on purpose. It makes people want to go home.

At home, people have been so great. Friends have been bringing me food and flowers. I asked my surgeon if I should be careful with what I eat. He said absolutely not. This is not the time to worry about it. I need to eat anything and everything I want, especially protein. See why I like him? My parents and children got the house ready and beautiful. My (and Neil's) bedroom was moved downstairs into the sunroom so I could have the washroom and kitchen right beside me. It's kind of funny. This sunroom should be bitterly cold right now. It literally is a sunroom, almost all windows, and at -17 degrees I should be very cold but I'm not. The surgery left me over-heated so I am the best person to be back here.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that I won't opt for reconstruction. Surgery is just not that much fun. I think I can learn to live with a new shape, a little lop-sided perhaps but not much. My problem right now is my arm. Because the surgeon went into the lymph nodes I'm kind of sore under there. As long as I don't move I don't notice but it does make sleeping and getting up for the washroom rather tenuous. The surgeon warned me that I'll likely never pitch for the Blue Jays. I told him that I could learn to live with that but I was more concerned with my career at Hooters. His answer was reconstructive surgery. I think not.

BTW, I have gotten some compliments about my positive attitude and such. Please don't be fooled. I'm not special. I just like to write when I'm happy or have energy but I also have my down times as well. When that happens, I just curl up under the covers and feel sorry for myself until I fall asleep. Writing this blog has helped me with all of this and knowing that you all care has been a great support.

That's a load off my chest.






No comments:

Post a Comment