Sunday, February 16, 2014

Episode 8: Another Great Lady

Today, I was blessed by a visit from another fabulous lady who'd been there, done that, got the T-shirt. In fact, she's still there with chemo but she was so up-beat and encouraging. Wow, I need people like her in my life. She was first diagnosed 10 years ago, had a double mastectomy and went on chemotherapy. The cancer came back last summer and she's on chemo again but to look at her you'd never guess. She said that treatments have improved so drastically in the past 10 years that she goes about her daily routines with energy that she didn't used to have. She told me about what to expect and how to get through the day. Her recipe is to:

- lean on God's strength
- do everything you need to do to take care of yourself without apology (eating, exercising, resting)
- surround yourself with people who understand that and
- give yourself one thing everyday to look forward to

She asked me if I was tired. I started to say no because treatment hasn't started yet but then I realized that I have been sleeping alot this winter. She said, "It's the shock." I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I think I am a little stunned and also guilty for being lazy. She corrected me and said absolutely not, "You need to rest every chance you get." I feel so fortunate to have a husband and children who are able to carry on even while I'm sleeping. I know they miss me but they've been so gracious to allow me the rest.

I'm just speculating here (well, I guess every episode has been about me speculating) but it seems to me that one of the "perks" about breast cancer is that I can't blame anyone for it. Because there isn't conclusive proof regarding the causes, I don't know who to get mad at. (Although, I have a feeling that before this year is over, I'll think of someone.) And because there's noone to blame, women can share their stories without embarrassment or shame. So rather than pull away from each other, women (with their men) can band together and offer encouragement. At least that's been my experience so far and I am very grateful for the openness.



No comments:

Post a Comment