Thursday, February 13, 2014

Episode 7: Cancer 101

I've been working on this episode's draft for quite awhile. It's just not coming together the way it should. The more I learn, the more confused I get. Remember I said I got a whiteboard lesson on cancer. Well, I want to share some of what I learned. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a doctor and don't even remember or understand half of what I've been told. As soon as I can get a copy of Dr. Love's "Breast Book", I'll be an expert (haha).

Apparently, there is a name for my ability to faint, thought that was kind of cool. And the nurse told me that it's completely involuntary (i.e. it's not just me being silly, so there). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

I really like the following links. These guys are reputable.
https://www.cancercare.on.ca/
http://www.mayoclinic.org/
https://www.facebook.com/breastcancersocietyofcanada?fref=ts
http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/breast/pathology-and-staging/malignant-tumours/dcis/?region=bc

Here's what I think I learned. There are over 200 types of cancer. Most cancers follow rules and are relatively predictable. Unfortunately, breast cancer isn't one of those. It doesn't play by the rules. 1 in 9 women have breast cancer. We have no idea yet what causes it. It's likely a combination of several things (e.g. lifestyle, environment, genetics). In fact, the township next door to mine is conducting a survey to find out why there seem to be so many women in this area who have breast cancer. Has anyone seen the movie, "Erin Brokovich"? She's my hero. My surgeon said that there are only two things that hold true: if you're a woman and you have breasts then you're at risk. In fact, I went through the Mayo Clinic's list of risk factors and I've never done any of those things. I'm not obese, never smoked, don't drink, blah, blah, blah. Genetics may play a part but even that's relatively unpredictable.

Back in the early days when surgery was done, a woman would be anesthetized not knowing whether or not a lumpectomy would be sufficient or if a mastectomy would have been performed. Only when she woke up would she find out what had been done. Now, they can prepare women a bit better for what's going to happen. In my case, a lumpectomy is not a good option because there are two lumps and I would end up looking "weird" afterwards. Also, because one of the lumps is surrounded by DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) cells, the plan is to remove the whole thing along with any further risk of spreading. DCIS is one of the most treatable of the cancers, so good news for me.

But I'm confused. Apparently, there are a lot of women who are receiving surgery and treatment even though they don't need it. I'm so confused. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/breast-cancer-death-rates-in-canada-didn-t-improve-with-mammograms-1.2532730  So that's my next question for the doctor: are we sure this is necessary?

As I learn more, I will revise Episode 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment